Holy Trinity Anglican Church Centennial
The Chalmers’ Building at the southwest corner of 12th Avenue and Hemlock (1440 West 12th Ave.) also known as Holy Trinity Anglican Church is celebrating 100 years as a landmark in the South Granville neighbourhood.
Pictured: Chalmers Presbyterian Church [at 2801 Hemlock Street] Circa 1923. Vancouver Archives, CVA 99-3495. Photo by Stuart Thomson
It was back in October 1911, that a group of Fairview Presbyterians laid the cornerstone for Chalmers Presbyterian (later United) Church. In 1926 it became Chalmers United Church and served that congregation until 1991, when it was acquired by Holy Trinity Anglican Church to serve the growing needs of its congregation.
This impressive Neo-Classical church was built in response to the rapid pre-war expansion of Fairview and Shaughnessy. The design is highlighted by pediments and massive columns, a dome centred at the crossing, extensive use of stained glass, fine brickwork and pre-cast concrete ornamentation.
From the very beginning, the building was designed to be what it remains – a community centre where people can not only gather for worship, but much more besides. The church now provides a home for the South Granville Seniors Centre and the 126 seat Pacific Theatre. Holy Trinity is a vital part of our community and we join with them in celebrating this beautiful landmark.
From October 12th to 16th, 2011 the Holy Trinity community invites you to come mark this centennial with a week of special events and activities. The indoor swimming pool may be long gone, but there are many scheduled activities to enjoy. […]